Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Impersonalization vs. Individuality


This morning, I revisited my previous attempts to cancel an account.

When I called, I was asked for my name, company, name, address, etc.

Eventually, I was able to state the reason for my call and was routed to the correct department.

When I called back with my business code to get another piece of information, I was required to go through all the same steps for identification.

When I called back a third time, still missing one more piece of information, I was asked for all the same information, even though I had my business code once again for the same route to the correct department.

I objected to repeating all the same information, but the customer service person insisted.

I asked for a supervisor in order to be spared another round of impersonalization.

I realized at the time, that the customer service representative’s job depended on the protocol of impersonalization, and that, so did the supervisor’s job.

I became determined to do something personal right away.

I went to a print shop with whom I deal almost every week and was gratified to have my business completed in a very personal and completely individual way.

I was reassured that, yes, indeed, I do exist.  Me, as a person.

The more impersonalization that we are willing to undergo either from the giving or receiving end, the more we accept the loss of our identity.

I have resolved to make sure that I choose the most personal ways of doing business that I can from now on.

And I will make an effort to drop all the impersonal ways that I can.

I will know my farmer.

I will continue greet folks in a way that says I am aware of your presence and your contribution to my life.

I will continue behave in a friendly or assertive way, whichever is necessary for the occasion, and I will let the person know that I care about them and that I care about how I am being taken care of in a respectful and appreciative way.

If I were in a small town instead of a metroplex of 6.5 million, I would probably know more people than I do now.

I resolve to continue to treat people in appreciative ways and to look for business situations where I am treated the same way.

I value and appreciate all the individually that we each bring to each others’ lives.

It will be more fun and more satisfying to bring that out during more of my  daily business encounters.


© 2012 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment